Re: cache not cacheing

From: Daniel Harrison <>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 14:35:13 -0500

On Aug 18, 10:50am, David J N Begley wrote:
> Subject: Re: cache not cacheing
> On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Daniel Harrison wrote:
> > I have a cache server that I can't get to cache.
> [...]
> > I upgraded squid to the latest stable version (1.1.14) and no change.
> I know this may seem like a silly question at first, but it has to be
> asked anyway; have you "migrated" the Squid configuration file carefully
> to suit any changes in each new version? What "refresh_pattern" rules are
> you using?

The first version I installed was 1.1.1 (came with a Debian Linux 1.3
distribution). So migration did not involve much reconfiguration.

Here is the refresh pattern:
        refresh_pattern . 0 100% 10080

The machine is behind a packet filter so it also has
To force it to use the following parents.
        cache_host parent 8080 3130 weight=5
        cache_host parent 8080 3130 weight=1

The failure to cache occurrs both direct and via the parent caches.

> Have you produced any stats from the access logs to confirm that the proxy
> is doing more proxying and less caching?

It is only a recently installed machine so the log files are very small.

On furthur study of store.log I have found that some sites _do_ log valid
datehdr and/or lastmod fields.
For example:
  no datehdr or lastmod
  both datehdr & lastmod

I believe I am having two problems.
- The first GET is not obtaining LM Last Modified) information for the page
(not all cases).
- On subsequent retrievals, the IMSGet (Is Modified Since) is failing to
establish that the page has not been changed.

Daniel Harrison				Ph. (02) 9351 5519
Network Administrator
Sydney University			Bld H08, Sydney
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.