Re: Squid & Transparent proxy?

From: Cefiar <cefiar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 14:56:02 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Jan Jungnickel wrote:

> Has somebody ever played with Linux' transparent Proxy and Squid, to make
> all requests to any host on port 80 to be redirected to port 3128 on the
> squid host - and got it working, so that the users won`t have to
> configure their machines for proxy-use and that they won`t recognioze
> this happening. Or may that be impossible ?

Haven't played with it myself, but I was looking at it when I noticed in
bug reports of Kernel 2.0.30 that the transparent proxy in .30 does NOT
work properly. .29 works fine, and users wanting to use it should either
downgrade to .29 or manually edit the bug out by comparing .29 and .30
source. I didn't have the time to edit the source, and I don't want to run
.29 (hardware issues).

Other than that, it should be fine..

If you have any problems, try having a look at the masq mailing list, as
transparent proxy isused with the IP Firewall and Masquerading options
within the kernel.

| http://amarok.glasswings.com.au/ | cefiar@amarok.glasswings.com.au |
| Jake and Elwood - The Blues Brothers! |
| "You traded it?! You traded the Blues Mobile for this?" |
| "No. For a microphone." "A microphone? OK I can see that." |