Re: ftpget problem

From: WWW server manager <webadm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 22:23:59 +0100 (BST)

Redfern Ian wrote:

> > Using XMP instead of PRE should fix that. Anyone have problems
> > with that?
>
> According to the HTML 4 draft spec
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40-970708/appendix/changes.html#h-13.1.1.3)
> :
>
> Obsolete elements
>
> The following elements are now obsolete: XMP, PLAINTEXT, and LISTING.
> For all of them, you should use the PRE element instead.

Yes. <XMP> may be the easy solution, except for being obsolete; the right
solution is surely to convert characters that need it (not just < and >)
into &#nnn; form (or as a named entity where defined). Since (I vaguely
recall) some browsers may not handle numeric entities properly (while
others may not handle the more obscure or recently added named entities
properly...), it would probably be best to go for a hybrid fix, using &lt;
&gt; &amp; for <, >, and & (since they should be understood by everything),
and &#nnn; for the less common cases, rather than using &#nnn; in all cases.

                                John Line

--
University of Cambridge WWW manager account (usually John Line)
Send general WWW-related enquiries to webmaster@ucs.cam.ac.uk