Re: Acceptable HIT/MISS ratios

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 10:06:46 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Jim Doherty wrote:

> Out of curiosity, is there a report on byte count hit/miss? With
> many sites useing SSI | server parsed html the web pages themselves
> tend not to get cached but all of the associated gifs could.

Unless of course you enable the appropriate headers; I force expiry
headers for our SSI/XSSI stuff (which picks up some of the CGI output as
well), and even add "Last-Modified" headers to the output of some CGI
scripts (stuff that doesn't really need to be refreshed all that often).
The end result, of course, is that this stuff ends up being cached
(good!).

Like so many other things, it all comes back to Web developers using "the
right headers"...

dave