Squid parent query troubles

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 00:44:01 -0400 (EDT)

I've been having some problems with my caches connecting to their parent
caches. What happens is that my caches will connect to a parent cache to
fetch an object, but will then just sit with an open connection to a
parent and not transfer anything. This happens occasionally, but more than
I think it should (people have been complaining :( ). I thought at first
that it was DNS lookups, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I watch the caches with cachemgr and netstat to see the open connects, and
eventually Squid will just timeout. I can hit reload lots of times and get
the same thing -- even shift+reload. I am running the ICMP stuff, which
seems to help a little, but the problem still shows up. I am running Squid
1.1.15 on Redhat linux running kernel 2.0.30 w/1024 filedescriptors. I
have about 1.5 GB of cache and am using about 45 MB -- about 7MB of that
is swap.

I've been working on this since Friday and havn't been able to solve it!
Any ideas? Suggestions? Thanx in advance...

        -Bill