Re: squid-users-digest Digest V97 #196

From: Gero J. Dittmer <gdittmer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 97 23:22:28 +0200

>How are you able to get such high hit rates? We have 3 proxy servers running
>wiht Squid 1.1.11 and we only get between 12% and 18% hit rates!
>
>What are we doing wrong?

Block everything that will deliver varying useless data every time. Block
major porn sites as every pic will only be loaded once. I had success
with

- blocking ad domains line "doubleclick.net"
- blocking all web counters using regulars expressions (run a cron job to
check for those every night)
- setting minimum expiration times to 1 hour for text / 6 hours for
images.

You will also get a remarkable kick commenting out the handling of
"pragma: no-cache", but I have reverted to RELOAD_INTO_IMS just to be a
bit nicer.

Your hit rate should then be around 50 % with less than a gig of cache.

Cheers, Gero