Re: squid die (malloc error) on AIX 4.2.1

From: David Richards <dj.richards@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 09:04:48 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, LO PUI YU wrote:

> Dear Squid Admins,
>
> We are setup a squid (1.1.14) on powerpc-ibm-aix4.2.1, and we used
> native AIX C compiler to make the execute program. Sometime the squid will

Firstly, squid is best compiled with gnu C compiler, and even better if
you also get the gnu malloc library.

> die for malloc error, but we have 327 Mbyte memory. After read the faq
> (http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ.html), we know that we have addressed
> the memory configure on OS level, can anyone kindly teach me that how to
> tune up the parameters on AIX 4.2.1 ?
>
> Here is the configure we currently defined :
>
> Hardware :
> AIX 4.2.1
> 21.6 G cache space
> memory - 327 M
>
> Software :
>
> For Squid config :
> Squid 1.1.14
> cache_mem 280 <-- just place safe

The cache_mem parameter should be set to approx. 1/3 of the actual memory
that you want squid to use. i.e. if you want squid to use 280meg of RAM
you should set cache_mem to 280/3 approx. equals 95-100 meg. This is
documented in the squid documentation.

> cache_swap 21 G
>
> For AIX OS config :
> Maximum number of PROCESSES allowed per user [240]
> Maximum number of pages in block I/O BUFFER CACHE [20]
> Maximum Kbytes of real memory allowed for MBUFS [0]
> HIGH water mark for pending write I/Os per file [0]
> LOW water mark for pending write I/Os per file [0]
> Amount of usable physical memory in Kbytes 327680
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Lopy
> Hong Kong Baptist University

These things will increase the performance and reliability of your squid.

Seeya,

Dave Richards
Queensland University of Technology
Brisbane, Australia