Round Robin?

From: Rania Fakhoury <raniaf@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 12:14:47 +0300

Hi all,

I have a proxy (squid 1.1.16 on linux 2.0.30) with 3 parents and one sibling.
I need to load balance the load betwen 2 parents, and use the 3rd as a last resort.
I've tried the following (first two lines are for the load-balanced parents, the third line is for the last resort parent. The fourth line is for the sibling:

cache_host A parent 8082 7 round-robin default no-query weight=200
cache_host B parent 8082 7 round-robin default no-query weight=200
cache_host C parent 8082 7 default no-query weight=5
cache_host C sibling 8082 3134 proxy-only

The proxy is only connecting to the first parent and switches to the second only when the first is down (the relationship with the sibling is OK though).

I tried round robin because I thought that load balance between two # parents but it did not work. What is this round robin service?
How does round-robin work? Where can I find more information about neighboring and can I debug it?

Thanks in advance for any kind of help.

Regards,

Rania Fakhoury
System Administrator