Re: Cisco Cache Director (Was RE: Does Squid beat the rest? )

From: Gregory Maxwell <nullc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 18:52:16 -0400 (EDT)

You can do this with Linux and Squid.. It's called transparent proxing,
unfortuantly there is a rather BIG problem with this, The cache only sees
the IP and not the URL, so it severly reduces hit rate.. Some people on
this list use Transparent proxying, they can tell you how it works..

But, it does work, and no cisco router is required.. 24gigs is probably
required for any kind of good hitrate in this situation..

I really think this kind of transparent approach is half-assed, no one has
a problem setting up mailhosts, users can just cope and admins can block
port 80.

If you want transparency then someone should encourage the addition of
caches as a DNS field..

In a worst case situation you can send a ICP request to the network
brodcast address, port 3128. (Though this can be bad for security
reasons)..

BTW- Last time I looked Ciscos web page included some flat lies regarding
other programs.

`Cisco's Cache Engine is thread based' (True, given for ref)
`Cisco's Cache Engine uses a special OS with low context switch overhead'(true)
`..Cisco's Cache Engine is the only cache system which is able to overcome
expensive context switches when dealing with multiple requests' That is a
flat lie, squid is a single thread, so no switch.