Re: Squid 1.1.11 Performance problems top DU3.2C

From: Malcolm B.J. Garbutt <mgarbutt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 10:39:35 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

Based on your feedback here alone, it would appear that you machine can't
handle ther search/sifting through your log file, not knowing how big
your hdd is and how much cache_swap you have I would suggest feeding you
machine much more ram, take it to 128MB and see how it goes.

Some more specs on your system and squid config would be great :-)

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Nick O'Brien wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I asked about this problem last week, I just thought I'd let people know
> what has happened.
>
> On Wed, 24 Sep 1997 11:39:39 +0100 (British Summer Time) Nick O'Brien
> <nick@cant.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > I am running Squid v1.1.11 on a system running Digital Unix 3.2C with
> > 74M of real memory, and 128M of swap space.
> >
> > This morning accessing pages through Squid was running very slowly. To
> > give you some idea of how slow a particular page retrieved directly
> > from our web server (which is on a different system) without a proxy
> > or using our old CERN proxy (which is on the same system as Squid)
> > takes 1-2 seconds to load. However with the Squid proxy it takes
> > 6-7 seconds. Even after restarting Squid the problem continues.
>
> One suggestion was to upgrade to the latest version of Squid, so I ugraded
> to v1.1.16 - this had no effect on the situtation. As performance appeared
> to better early in the morning and in the evenings someoner suggested that
> I might be running out of file descriptors, but Cache Manager claimed that
> I was only using 90 out of 4096.
>
> Some suggested that I might be running out of file descriptors, but the
> Cache Manager Cache Information Report claimed that I was only using about
> 90 out of 4096 file descriptors.
>
> I came in on Saturday and Squid was as slow as ever, so I was wrong - it
> is not related to the number of users accessing Squid. Following on from
> an idea someone's email had given me I reduced the value of cache_swap by
> 7/8 (3950 to 500). I then restarted Squid - this had no effect. But
> when I removed the the Cache swap log file (cache_swap_log) and restarted
> Squid - performance picked up instantly.
>
> Therefore what I suspect is happening is that Squid is spending so much
> time checking to see if items are in the Cache swap log file, that it has
> little time to do anything else - including retrieving items directly from
> source. If this is the case I obviously want to find a way of speeding up
> access to the log file as I don't want to have to destroy my cache every
> few days to keep performance at a good level (access is reasonable at the
> moment). I've also reduced the value of reference_age to 1 month to see if
> this will help.
>
> Do you have any ideas of what might be wrong?
>
> Also - I now unable to use cachemgr.cgi as I had to switch off our Unix
> based web server. Is there an NT Alpha binary of cachemgr.cgi (I don't
> have any access to any NT based compilation tools so I can't recompile the
> source), or at the very least a Perl version available?
>
> Rgds.,
>
> Nick.
>
> # Nick O'Brien, Computer Officer "It gives me a headache just to #
> # Canterbury Christ Church College think down to your level", Marvin #
> # Phone: +44 1227 782468 the Paranoid Android, HHGTTG #
> # Email:nick@cant.ac.uk Web:http://www.cant.ac.uk/staff/nick/home.html #

Malcolm Garbutt
Network Operations-
OZLAND.NET MILDURA.NET MURRAY.NET

Office Ph. 03 50 212 991 Office Fax 03 50 212 932
Emergency Ph. 018 596 150

            .....Bringing the World to You......