Re: proposed (minor) changes in squid

From: Anthony Baxter <arb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 18:40:50 +1000

>>> David Luyer wrote
> On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Marc van Selm wrote:
> >2 (minor) proposals for changes in squid:
> >
> >1) Accept hostnames with '_'
>
> I don't believe this is a good idea. Resolver libraries and nameservers
> alike are moving to enforcing this, as do many non-Unix operating systems.
> It's clear from multiple RFCs that _ is definitely not acceptable in
> hostnames, and you should notify people who use them of this.

Sure, but you should notify the people responsible for the domain, not
the end users trying to talk to that domain. If your users want to deal
with a system that (god forbid) has an _ in it's hostname, and their
system will allow it, then good for them. If they say 'why can I access
it directly, but not through squid?' no matter what you say, they're going
to be thinking "squid is busted".

Let the resolver libraries deal with it, and let squid be more relaxed
about it.

Anthony