Re: Microsoft CARP

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 19:25:44 +0100

On Sun 12 Oct, 1997, Garry Glendown <garry@insider.regio.net> wrote:
>Paul Chinen wrote:
>> What I think is that MS does not understand quite well ICP:

[the conspiracy theory says that it's because they can't implement ICP in their
server model. A colleague pointed out that it also looks impossible to
implement the CARP hashing in javascript.]

>M$ doesn't _care_ if something is good, well designed or whatever. If
>they believe they can set up something they can establish as a pro-forma
>standard, they will define it. And with so many people following M$
>without thinking, just because it's M$, they often succeed. :-/

Note that they've broken proxy autoconfiguration in MSIE 4, such that it will
throw up an error on ftp and gopher requests when you try and send them
"DIRECT". It also (somehow) breaks channel subscriptions, a much touted feature
of IE 4, but they don't seem to be too interested in fixing things (and the
reference they make in the CARP document to their implementation of
autoconfiguration files now results in a "404 file not found").

James.
[dangerous thing, calling your idea CARP. Too easily mistyped.]