Re: ftp url's get the leading / dropped

From: David Luyer <luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 14:33:32 +0800 (WST)

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Steve Cliffe wrote:
>If I try something like this ftp://steve@union.uow.edu.au/home/union
>without going through Squid all is fine. When I go through squid I get a
>message back saying it can't find "home/union" - i.e. it's stripping off
>the leading / and treating it as a relative pathname.
>
>I assume this is incorrect behavior.

This is (mostly) correct behaviour, it should be covered in the FAQ (I
haven't checked though). The leading slash _should_ be dropped.

Maybe squid could violate what it should do by retrying with a / on file
not found ftp results, but this would give potentially wierd results if
people came to expect it to work and had a file eg, /vmlinux and ~/vmlinux
and were trying to get /vmlinux.

What it "should" do is should CD home, CD union, and get a list. It
should _not_ CD /home/union or similar. To do that, %-encode the / at the
start.

What it actually does is probably a list of "home/union" which is
equivalent in almost all known cases to CD home, CD union, list.

David.