Sibling with several IPs, squid on Solaris(priocntl), ftp cache.

From: Javier Puche. CSIC RedIRIS <javier.puche@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:00:01 +0200

Hi all,

 I have some questions about squid I'll tell you right now, please
point me to any place where documentation exists about this matters, I
have not found any info on this:

1.- We have a sibling cache with two IP addreses, if I set a cache_host
entry for the DNS name of the machine, Squid seems to get only the
first IP after the DNS lookup(a supposition) and then I get error
messages saying "Ignoring MISS from non-peer 150.149..." .... I have
set up two cache_host entries for both IP addresses and then set one to
no-query, but I am afraid this is not the proper way to handle this, is
it??

2.- We have been running our cache on a Solaris 2.6 machine very
successfully for twho months. The machine has a very low load (it is an
Ultra-2, 2-CPUs,512MB RAM, storage array disks devoted only to
caching). The thing is that on Sundays we get a TCP_HIT latency below 1
second, while normal days when we have around 400.000 TCP queries per
day, obviously, the latency rises ... I suppose that it is mainly due
to I/O bottleneck but I would like to know if someone has tried to
adjust the priocntl parameters for Squid and if got any results on
reducing latency.

3.- For some reasons we wanted to separate the HTTP cache from the FTP
cache; I have found so far two problems: for one thing some mirroring
programs for FTP,like mirror.pl, do not work through squid caches due
to the way Squid generates FTP listings ... any solution found by
anyone??
Also in the main cache I wanted to direct FTP queries to the FTP cache,
but I am afraid you can only select caches based on the URL domain, is
not that ?? another solution would be to se ftpget to use a proxy, but
ftpget seems not to support that option.

     | | <-request from || <- requests from users and other caches
     V V other caches VV
   -------- ftp --------- -The main cache routes all FTP to the
   | MAIN | -----> | FTP | FTP cache.
   | CACHE | <---- | CACHE | -The FTP cache routes all HTTP to the