Re: Subscribe

From: Donovan Baarda <abo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 23:24:41 +1000 (EST)

I saw the following posted some time ago in the mailing list archives, but
I couldn't find a satisfactory responce to it. Does anyone know the
answer to this one?

> I started to check some of the logs that were being created when I was
> accessing pages. I noticed that most, if not all pages fetched directly
> from the PE came back as DIRECT, even though the PINGER support has not
> been compiled in. I also tried another local ISP (not on the PE, but on
> the same router as me connected to the "I" provider) and their pages came
> DIRECT also! The only reason that I could deduce is that squid must
> automatically ping (EVEN *without* pinger support compiled in) the site
> to determine the RTT, and if it is less than the RTT of the parent, then
> go DIRECT. Just to confirm that the minimum_hop function was not active,
> I set it to 20 and kill -1 pid, and got the same results.
>
> QUESTIONS:
> Why is squid going direct on some pages when it has a parent set (the
> parent is alive)?

I have noticed this behaviour to. We have just a single parent that is
currently a little unreliable, so we run with;

cache_host proxy.name.au parent 8080 3130
single_parent_bypass off
source_ping off
neighbour_timeout 4

From what I understand of how squid works, it should never go direct with
these settings, unless, as suggested above, it ping's the source even with
source_ping off.

When the parent is alive, we get most misses fetched FIRST_PARENT_MISS,
but some close sites (but not as close as the parent) seem to be fetched
DIRECT pretty consistantly. About the only way to prevent it going direct
to these sites is to use the "inside_firewall" setting.

When the parent is dead, we get a few TIMEOUT_DIRECT fetches, but mainly
DIRECT. Of course, with "inside_firewall" (or even "single_parent_bypass
on") we can't get anything when the parent is down.

ABO