RE: Non ICP parent never being used

From: Donovan Baarda <abo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 10:50:55 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997 andrew@ugh.net.au wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Larmour, Jonathan wrote:
>
> > Do you mean that proxy2 gets asked for everything, or if proxy1
> > doesn't have it, then it always goes direct?
>
> If it isnt in the domains proxy2(the ICP host) is configured for it goes
> direct.
>
> I've got it working now by removing the no-query on the non ICP host. Why
> does this work?

I think I understand this one. There is a FAQ on this. Apparently the
"default" tag means "use this as a last resort", so if it can fetch the
URL from the source, it does. By removing no-query, you include the proxy
in the ICP negotiation phase, so it gets a chance to "beat the source".
The default option only seems to be meaningful for URL's that can't
be reached directly, ie. outside the firewall.

You may find that it is better to use "single_parent_bypass on" than
"no-query" to reduce ICP overheads because it makes it use the parent by
default, instead of excluding the parent from negotiations. However, if
your parent proxys are un-reliable this will prevent it from ever going to
the source, stuffing you up when the parent goes down.

IMHO the source selection algo's and config file options in squid need
some work. It appears that they have become too convoluted and could do
with a bit of rationalization.

ABO