Re: What is the best way to bypass parent caches for some domains?

From: WWW server manager <webadm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 00:31:23 +0000 (GMT)

David Richards wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, WWW server manager wrote:
>
> > What is the best (most efficient, least risk of mistakes) way to specify a
> > non-trivial (though as yet not really large) number of specific servers
> > and/or domains for which parent caches should never be used (i.e. Squid
> > should always connect direct)?
>
> The easiest way, least risk is the way that squid already allows.
> If you read the config file properly you will find a tag called:
>
> hierarchy_stoplist
>
> This will not use the parents for these sites. For example:
>
> hierarchy_stoplist netscape.com
>
> Anytime someone requests a page through this cache, for this domain, if
> this cache does not have the the page in its cache it will fetch it
> directly from the source rather than ask it's parent.

Thanks for the suggestion. I forgot to mention hierarchy_stoplist, but I had
considered it. It seemed messy/imprecise, since it matches anywhere in the
requested URL, but in general that wouldn't be a problem. I'll wait and see
what other people suggest - and whether there's a difference between what
people are doing in reality and what people familiar with the implementation
of the different possibilities would recommend based on relative efficiency,
if the differences are enough to be worth considering.

                                John Line

--
University of Cambridge WWW manager account (usually John Line)
Send general WWW-related enquiries to webmaster@ucs.cam.ac.uk