Re: Optimum HD space.

From: John Sloan <johns@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 18:40:39 +0000 (GMT)

We have two caches both getting approx 750000 tcp requests/day.

Sparc 20, 448Mb ram.
Squid 1.1.16
Cache_swap 11000.
Cache_mem 32
Stable squid size approx 310Mb. [uptime of 16 days now]

Ultra 140, 256Mb ram.
Squid 1.1.17
Cache_swap 7500.
Cache_mem 24
Stable squid size > 230Mb [I have to restart it when it starts swapping -
about once every three days at present :(]

Performance is _markedly_ degraded when the cache starts swapping.
Average request service time goes from approx 3 seconds to at times over
10.

Annoyingly when the object database has been reloaded after a restart the
size of squid in memory is approx 50% of the stable size, but tends
towards the stable size quite quickly.

John Sloan
Systems Administrator
UUNET UK