Re: Redundancy

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 21:03:54 +1000

Well, that's why I wrote this code. I've got three servers set up. The main one,
where people normally connect, and two proxy-only squids on other machines. If
people connect through a proxy that's using sparent, then if the main one goes out
for any reason, it seamlessly connects to the next server in line. Users don't
even notice.

This is do-able for us, as we have a central hub serving a number of leaf-systems.
The leaf systems are where the users dial up and each has a squid proxy that
fetches it's requests from the main proxy at the hub. By setting up the leaf
systems each with a copy of 'sparent', I can do anything at all to the main proxy,
and only connections in-progress are affected. If I put a long enough
shutdown_lifetime on each one, then users never realise that any given unit isn't
responding, as sparent has routed their request to one of the redundant units that
_is_ responding. The redundant units don't cache, of course.

--
Note to evil sorcerers and mad scientists: don't ever, ever summon powerful
demons or rip holes in the fabric of space and time. It's never a good idea.