Re: Redundancy

From: Joe Provo - Network Architect <jprovo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 06:35:06 -0500 (EST)

[snip]
> > Now, if you want REAL redundancy, then maybe an OpenVMS port of Squid
> > would be useful. The supplied TCP/IP stack on new AlphaServers is
[snip]
> Doesn't help with anything other than a system outage (intentional or
> othewise), as I understand it. The cluster alias IP address goes to
[snip]

A clean, heterogenous solution is to use an IP-level redirection device,
either commercial (cisco localdirectort, source-one-solutions web services
director, etc) or homegrown from whatever OS source you have available.
Kissin' cousins of proxy-firewalls, slow ones could probably just be
built from the plug-gw out of TIS fwtk. To get greater speed requires
getting low in the stack, and the commercial products do have a lot of
knobs for determining service availablility, load balancing, etc.

It would be an interesting project, to work on an implementation of an IP
redirector based around, say, a stripped-down BSD kernel...

Cheers,

--
Joe Provo, Network Architect                         508.229.8400 x3006
Network Operations Center                            Fax   508.229.2375