Re: Redundancy

From: Joe Provo - Network Architect <jprovo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 07:42:00 -0500 (EST)

[snip]
> Am I missing something here, but don't you still have the single point of
> failure, just now it is the redirector?
Sorry, given the topic, I thought that pairs were assumed. All the
commercial products I mentioned (and the ones I didn't, like BIG/ip)
have methods for operating in pairs or N-way for failure protection.
They either echange keepalives/routing info/check each others' services;
most of the products can do this parallel over both in-band (ether/etc
LAN media) and oob (serial cable tying/chaining them together) methods,
to further guard against SPoF (single point of failure).

Cheers,

--
Joe Provo, Network Architect                         508.229.8400 x3006
Network Operations Center                            Fax   508.229.2375