Re: A good hitrate!

From: Michael Pelletier <mikep@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 09:26:47 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, David Richards wrote:
> With increased hit rates comes down sides. There are always
> trade-offs!
>
> But if you really want to know how to get quite a high hit rate
> you should try experimenting with the refresh_pattern. The longer you
> allow it to stay in the cache, the better (for hit rate stats). But, the
> trade off is the possibility that your "clients" may not see the most up
> to date information in some places.

This is quite true, particularly since it seems that the vast majority of
web sites have not discovered the "Expires:" header yet, and even when you
tell them about it and why they should use it, they can't seem to bring
themselves to use it.

My Squid server has graphic files set for a longer freshness, and sites
that do periodic or daily updates of graphic files without changing the
name of the file, such as <A HREF="http://www.jpost.co.il">The Jerusalem
Post</A> and the <A HREF="http://marsweb.jpl.nasa.gov/mgs">Mars Global
Surveyor</A> site which has a 5-minute update anmiation of the spacecraft
in relation to Mars, are an ongoing hassle for me.

Sure, I could set specific short refresh patterns for those kinds of
files, but then I'd have a squid.conf a mile long. If those darn web
admins would just use "Expires:" everything would be hunky-dory.

        -Mike Pelletier.