How does Squid relate to HTTP 1.1?

From: Josef Pojsl <sec@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 17:59:05 +0100 (MET)

Hello again,

I have encountered one problem while using Squid 1.1.17.
My question is: Does it implement HTTP 1.1 header fields?

My problem is as follows: we are using transparent caching
to force our Internet providees (nice word, he?) to use
our Squid 1.1.17 cache. One of our customers has complained
that he/she gets some documents expired. I have studied
the specified URLs and servers and found out that the servers in question
respond with "Cache-control" headers (even on requests to
http/1.0).

According to RFC, Cache-control comes with HTTP 1.1.
Is Squid going to upgrade to HTTP 1.1? Should the server response
with HTTP 1.1 header to HTTP 1.0 request be considered erroneous?
(BTW, the server is Microsoft-IIS/3.0 :-)

Many many thanks for any comments.

--josef

--
Josef Pojsl