Re: Suggestion Pls!!!

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 02:04:49 +1000

The simplest has to be:

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
    return "PROXY proxy.wlink.com.np:3128; DIRECT;";
}

Which will use proxy.wlink.com.np:3128, or go direct if it is unavailable.

There are more complex things you can do, like selecting different proxies
for different subnets, writing exclusions, and so forth, but this is the
simplest possible.

You'll need to serve this as a special MIME type as well.

Save the file as SOMETHING.pac, and add this to your /etc/mime.types file:

application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig pac

Then restart your WWW server, and try it.

Netscape should work fine. MSIE 3.02+ should also work (if you believe
M$oft's advertising...about which I am dubious).

--
Note to evil sorcerers and mad scientists: don't ever, ever summon powerful
demons or rip holes in the fabric of space and time. It's never a good idea.