tune swap_level{1,2}_dirs for small site?

From: Tilman Schmidt <Tilman.Schmidt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 15:28:02 +0000

I am in the process of upgrading from version 1.0 to 1.1 (NOVM) with the
new two-level subdirectory structure. My Squid is serving a rather small
user community, and my cache typically contains less than 10,000 objects.
Therefore the new structure in general, and the default setting of 16*256
subdirectories in particular, seem like overkill to me. The rule-of-thumb
formula in the docs gives me a value of L1*L2 = 40.

Is there any negative impact from having two orders of magnitude too many
subdirectories? Should I lower L1, L2, or both, or should I just keep the
defaults and let Squid figure out for itself how to make sense of them?

--
Tilman Schmidt          E-Mail: Tilman.Schmidt@sema.de (office)
SEMA GROUP GmbH                 tilman@schmidt.bn.eunet.de (private)