RE: Configuration tips for Squid 1.1.15

From: Larmour, Jonathan <Jonathan.Larmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 20:51:18 -0000

You could tweak the build to ensure the compiler has maximum
optimisation on, e.g. with -O3. You could also use -fomit-frame-
pointer which would help, but which makes debugging impossible.
However this means you may as well compile without -g and can strip
the binary afterwards, although I wouldn't think this would make much
difference, if any.

There may also be other switches for gcc that are good for Alpha's.
You'll just have to look at the gcc man page.

Find out if there are any tunable parameters for your kernel and tune
them! There should be a lot of them. Presumably you are using RAID,
in which case you may want to look in the squid archives for
discussions about the optimal stripe size.

Why are there so many local domains? This will slow squid down. If
they really are local, since you are using ICMP then you should be
going to the source in those cases anyway.

Obviously there are also many things that can be tweaked in
squid.conf, but you'd have to post it here first (without the
comments please).

Oh, and upgrade to 1.1.17 :-).

Jonathan L.
Origin, 323 Cambridge Science Park,Cambridge,UK. Tel:+44 (1223)
423355
 ---[ It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has ]---
 ------------[ plenty of work to do - Jerome K. Jerome ]-------------
Fight spam! http://spam.abuse.net/ These opinions are all my fault