Re: The future of ICP_OP_HIT_OBJ

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 11:16:42 +1000

My instincts say that HTTP/1.1 connections should be no less (and perhaps
slightly more) efficient. Not necessarily faster, but the returned object
would be subject to TCP flow-control, as well as recovery (if lost).

I consider that a plus. On the down side, it means the data will require at
least one ACK, which it wouldn't as a UDP packet. That in itself could make
a difference. I can see situations where I might (for example) want to use
HIT_OBJ with my parent (to avoid paying for ACKS on the main link), but not
on the local lan between siblings (where bandwidth is cheap).

Or, perhaps I might choose to say, hang-it-all, and do it the other way
around, and use HIT_OBJ locally, where they can't reasonably get lost, and
do it by TCP on the main-link to the parent where things get congested
enough that ICP replies would usually be lost.

Maybe it'd be best to just have an icp-over-tcp flag to go on as a modifier
to the cache_peer/cache_host entries, so we can have our cake and eat it
too. :)

--
Note to evil sorcerers and mad scientists: don't ever, ever summon powerful
demons or rip holes in the fabric of space and time. It's never a good