ERR-CANNOT-FETCHes

From: <rstagg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 15:16:55 +0000

Greetings,

I am running Squid 1.1.17 on Linux 2.0.30.

99% of the time, the service runs perfectly. However, about two or three
times a day, Squid loses contact with its parent for anything between 30
seconds and 2 minutes. People browsing get cache hits perfectly, but any
attempt to retrieve an uncached document results in an ERR-CANNOT-FETCH,
and the user is told that there are "No peers to query, and the host is
beyond the firewall".

This occurs for no obvious reason. And it goes away again without any human
intervention.

A second machine accesses the same firewall. It runs Squid 1.1.16 on Linux
2.0.0. The problem never occurs on the second machine.

If anyone has any suggestions or pointers, I'd be extremely grateful.

- - - - -

I only subscribe to the Digest list, so I'd appreciate e-mailed responses,
rather than replies sent to the user list.

Regards to all

Richard Stagg
Internet Analyst
CSC Computer Sciences