Configuration problem or bug?

From: Andreas Fink <afink@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 09:56:53 +0100

Hello Squid Users,

We did use Squid in the past and have recently reinstalled it with release
1.1.18. We did run into two problems I coudnt solve and I wonder if one of
you have seen that before:

This time I wanted to run it as accelerator and as proxy. Before I was only
using it as proxy. To run it as accelerator, I must run it on the
priviledged port 80. When I start squid it tells me that the non
priviledged user afink can not bind to the port 80 which is understandable.
So I did run it as root, whereas it tells me:

97/11/21 17:50:39| Squid is not safe to run as root! If you must
97/11/21 17:50:39| start Squid as root, then you must configure
97/11/21 17:50:39| it to run as a non-priveledged user with the
97/11/21 17:50:39| 'cache_effective_user' option in the config file.
FATAL: Don't run Squid as root, set 'cache_effective_user'!
Squid Cache (Version 1.1.18): Terminated abnormally.
CPU Usage: user 0 sys 0
Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
Page faults with physical i/o: 153

However, the cache_effective_user is set to my username and group.
I did get around that by patching the message above and run it as root for
testing, even this is not recommended. Now I did run into the next problem:
It was not correctly handling the virtual hosts:

If you telnet on to port 85 (my test port) and do the following:

GET / HTTP/1.0
Host: www.pingnet.ch

you where getting the default homepage, not the virtual host's homepage.
I did try all kinds of configuration options but couldnt figure one out
which works:

The following settings where made:

http_port 85 # I run it on port 85 for testing
httpd_accel localhost 80 # there is my old apache webserver currently
httpd_accel_with_proxy on
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

P.S. I had to remove the -a 80 in the RunAccel script since I was setting
the port to 85 for testing.

Does anyone has a good idea how to make accel working with relying solely
on the "Host:" line? I do not have an ip address for every virtual host.

Andreas Fink

Ping Net GmbH, Dorfstrasse 21, 8902 Urdorf, Switzerland
afink@pingnet.ch http://www.pingnet.ch/ Tel: 01-7358333 Fax: 01-7358334
Administration: admin@pingnet.ch Tech Support: support@pingnet.ch
Ping Net Sarl, World Trade Center, Av. Gratta Paille 2,
1000 Lausanne 30, Switzerland. Tel: 021-6411339 Fax: 021-6411310
Suppport freedom on the Internet: http://www.freedom.ch/