Re: Swap space on squid boxes

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 14:36:15 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Wayne Salamonsen wrote:

> I am about to set up a dedicated cache box running Squid on a Dec Alpha.
> It will be large scale with around 20GB of disk and 512 MB RAM. I am
> currently configuring the system and trying to work out how much swap space
> to assign. Given that Squid performs badly with swapping (hence so much
> RAM) I figure I do not need as much swap as in a conventional system and
> that the space is better given over to the cache.

Depends how the rest of the machine is configured I guess; our top-level
proxy is a Sun Ultra E2/2170 with 512Mb RAM and >30Gb of disk (only
roughly 17Gb is used for the cache). The machine has two 512Mb swap
partitions (on separate disks) giving it a total of 1Gb swap space, or
1.5Gb virtual memory.

Squid essentially stays in memory - but the machine is also used for
processing log files and such so there's plenty of room for caching,
buffers, storing large arrays and whatnot. Since the disks with the swap
partitions are on a separate controller to the disk array containing the
cache, there's no space taken away from the cache by having more swap
space.

> Wondering what sort of ratios people usually run for their dedicated cache
> boxes in terms of mem/swap???

As above - since the disks are all separate, we just followed the "safer
than sorry" rule of RAM times two (ie., as per normal even though it's a
dedicated cache machine).

Cheers..

dave