Re: object oriented Squid ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 01:21:15 +0100

As A sparetime Squid developer that knows both C and C++ (and a bit of
Squid too), I must say that there are some other design issues that is
fare more interesing than rewriting it in C++..

1. A Threaded Squid. This would really speed up development since
threading makes it possible to have a linear flow of control. Keeping
track of 3 (or more) interrelated state machines is not at all easy. All
developers makes mistakes here sooner or later (including Duane W).

2. Comments in the code, describing what it does, and why...

Then if the code is rewritten to according to this, maybe it should be
done in C++ or even Java?. I don't beleive writing it in C++ alone makes
Squid much easier to develop.

ps. Java is not an option, untill there is optimized (JIT compiling or
similar) JVMs for all interesting platforms (Sparc,Alpha,HP-PA and
probably some other as well).

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Developer