DIRECT vs Parent fetches

From: Wayne Salamonsen <wayne@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 15:22:53 +0800

Hi all,
        just wanting to clarify a point about Squid's fetching algorithm. I am
looking at a situation where I have the choice between making web requests
via a solitary parent or directly. Is there any way in which squid can be
configured to request from both sources and return whichever response is
faster?

My own understanding is that if a parent is configured and is alive and
well, it will always be used in preference to a direct fetch (unless
directed to go direct for particular domains or URLs of course).

If I am correct, then does anyone know of an existing patch providing this
dual fetch functionality?

Wayne
Wayne Salamonsen
R&D Engineer

Internet Research & Development Unit Email: wayne@irdu.nus.sg
National University of Singapore URL: http://irdu.nus.sg
Computer Centre Ph: +65 771 5238
10 Kent Ridge Crescent Fax: +65 872 6205
Singapore