Re: Caching identical files

From: Donovan Baarda <abo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 22:42:18 +1100 (EST)

On Sat, 29 Nov 1997, Anar Babayev Tofig ogli wrote:

> Hello!
> Is it possible to force Squid not to cache identical objects from different sites but instead,once it has cached the object, to give it from a cache.
> By the word identical i mean they have the same size,name,type.
> Thank you.

I've been pondering the possiblity of using a "learning redirector" for
this kind of thing. It might be possible to have a cron job scan through
you cache periodicly and "learn" mirror sites that can then be used by a
re-director.

I don't think that it is possible to know the objects are identical untill
you fetch it. I don't even know if it is feasable to find out the size
before you fetch it.

ABO
finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key