Re: object oriented Squid ?

From: Christian Khoury <Christian.Khoury@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 02:29:05 +0100

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> As A sparetime Squid developer that knows both C and C++ (and a bit of
> Squid too), I must say that there are some other design issues that is
> fare more interesing than rewriting it in C++..
>
> 1. A Threaded Squid. This would really speed up development since
> threading makes it possible to have a linear flow of control. Keeping
> track of 3 (or more) interrelated state machines is not at all easy. All
> developers makes mistakes here sooner or later (including Duane W).
>
> 2. Comments in the code, describing what it does, and why...
>
> Then if the code is rewritten to according to this, maybe it should be
> done in C++ or even Java?. I don't beleive writing it in C++ alone makes
> Squid much easier to develop.

If it makes it easier or harder to develop is not the issue here (i
think). What matters more is the ability to extend Squid capabilities
much easier by people who may not be working on Squid's code (like our
peoject, for example). And, IMHO, i think that what also matters is
really the design of a "good" OO version regardless of the language used
(of course, it's better to use a world-wide OO language :-) ).

Christian

--
Christian Khoury
INRIA - Projet SOR - B.P. 105 - 78153 Le Chesnay Cedex - FRANCE