Re: routing

From: Dave Zarzycki <zarzycki@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 97 21:10:47 -0800

On 12/1/97 3:40 PM, weis@hws.edu (weis@hws.edu) wrote:

>I would like to ask if it would increase the speed if I would install two
>network cards in one computer. I wanted to give the clients the IP adress
>from network card one for the proxy. I would set the default routing to
>nework card 2. The network is switched and we have a T1 internet
>connection. If it would be better how do I change the default routing
>table.

Yes, if, the following is true:

Your current card is near or at saturation.

In other words, if your clients' traffic to and from the proxy plus the
traffic to and from the internet add up to more than 6Mbps or 60% of
whatever network technology you are using, then it might be worth
separating your traffic onto multiple cards.

davez

Dave Zarzycki Student
Intern San Jose State University
Apple Computer, Inc. dzarzyck@email.sjsu.edu
zarzycki@apple.com zarzycki@ricochet.net
PGP Fingerprints (RSA): 8AF2 1040 8A9C D025 47BE 70DD A51C C887
DSS/Diffie-Hellman: CB9E 2621 B4BA 3F96 3516 B312 15B4 D842 3809 EF99
Contact pgpkeys.mit.edu for my public keys.