Re: Does Squid Support SSL?

From: Nigel Metheringham <Nigel.Metheringham@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 16:27:06 +0000

[I didn't see the original message... so I hope I haven't misinterpreted
whats being said]

dancer@brisnet.org.au said:
} Well...that was an awfully bare question. The answer _should_ be in
} the FAQ, but I can't see it there.

} The answer is: Minimally. Squid can forward SSL connections to another
} proxy that _can_ handle it, but that's as far as it goes. To my way of
} thinking it should not be a difficult handler to write. Maybe I'll
} bend some effort to it.

You have to remember that SSL connections are (or at least should be
unless someone has leaked the keys) opaque to everyone other then the 2
end points - decoding it in the middle is rather difficult and defeats the
object.

SSL is generally passed through squid transparently following a CONNECT
request - the CONNECT is followed by the target address:port. You can put
anything through a CONNECT - telnet, smtp etc, but squid is normally
configured to only allow connects to port 443 (https) and another one
(snntp) which I can't remember right now.

        Nigel.

--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@theplanet.net   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 251 6012                   Fax : +44 113 234 6065 ]