RE: IE4 & automatig proxy

From: Jordan Mendelson <jordy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 00:48:36 -0500

> In my experience (YMMV), IE4's automatic proxy config is badly broken. It
> seems to go whacko whenever you start including any function calls. And
> sometimes it doesn't. Personally, I use a cgi to deliver the autoproxy
file,
> and customise it for each subnet, so that it never has anything more
complex
> than 'return "PROXY first:port; second:port; third:port";' in it.

Actually, I'd say both are broken. NS4 4.04 crashes as soon as I click Ok
after setting up an automatic proxy.

IE4 doesn't work at all sometimes, and you have to restart the machine to
make it work... and even then it won't work.

Right now, we run this script:

function FindProxyForURL(url, host) {

   // If they have only specified a hostname, go directly.
   if (isPlainHostName(host))
      return "DIRECT";

   // Connect directly to our domain
   if (dnsDomainIs(host, "wserv.com"))
      return "DIRECT";

   // So the error message "no such host" will appear through the
   // normal Netscape box - less support queries :)
   if (!isResolvable(host))
      return "DIRECT";

   // We only cache http
   // gopher, wais will come after we test it
   if (url.substring(0, 5) == "http:" || url.substring(0, 4) == "ftp:")
      return "PROXY iocache-1.wserv.com:3128; DIRECT";

   // no matches made, return direct
   return "DIRECT";
}

It works, but IE4 tends to not work the first time.

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson     : www.wserv.com/~jordy/
Web Services, Inc.   : www.wserv.com