Re: What if Squid goes down?

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 14:04:20 +1000

I already use cutover systems, where I have the main proxy (with large cache)
and a redundant (two of them, actually, with minimal caches...just a few MB).

Each machine has two addresses (standard linux aliasing). If the main box
goes out, or stops giving service, the redundant machine 'picks up' the main
machine's primary IP address (essentially giving it a third address) and
takes over it's job until it determines (by testing the main machine's
secondary address) that service has been restored. When it has, the secondary
lets go of the primary address, and lets the original box take over again.

The software I cobbled up to do this is outrageously crude, and of little
better quality than rubbing two sticks together. At some point I'll do
something more elegant than shell scripts, ping and echoping.

--
Note to evil sorcerers and mad scientists: don't ever, ever summon powerful
demons or rip holes in the fabric of space and time. It's never a good idea.