RE: What if Squid goes down?

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 23:18:02 -0500 (EST)

This doesn't always work in terms of keeping users using the proxy. I have
found that many of my users call us if nothing happens after 10 seconds or
so of "connecting to host...". Many other users will just automatically
de-proxy after any lag problem, even if it isn't a result of the systems
on our end. It takes about a minute for the proxy.pac script to fall back
to a secondary cache, and this is longer than the users psycological
"must not work" timeout interval. Very few users will ever return their
machines to a proxing config after they disable it, and it usually takes
a lot of prodding from us to get them to do it.

Personally I think the idea of having a CGI that takes care of proxy.pac
dissemination is very interesting. When I have time I hope to write a
little CGI that sends a proxy.pac for one of our backup caches in case the
primary machine goes down for whatever reason. This isn't a perfect
solution, but I think it's better than using the proxy.pac fallback
exclusivly.

        -Bill