DNS / Demand-dial problem

From: Andre Coetzee <acoetzee@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 09:02:56 -0800

I have installed diald-0.16 on my Linux 2.0.12 system.

I am also using the SQUID proxy-cache.

Without diald, SQUID can resolve DNS lookups for items which it knows
about (items which have been cached.) When diald is running, DNS
lookups trigger a dialup connection even though SQUID could have
handled the request completely from the cache.

My /etc/resolv.conf refers all unresolved DNS lookups to my ISP's
nameserver.

I am NOT running named / gated / routed.

I really think the problem lies with the configuration of diald - it
seems to want to dial out the moment the resolver can't resolve the
lookup. Does anyone here know how to tell diald to wait and see if the
Squid can service the request?

I thought of disabling DNS lookups from triggering diald at all, but
then I would need to trigger a connection by some other means (ping?) if
and when Squid can't resolve the query. I don't know how to do this
though - at the moment Squid generates a "DNS lookup failure" error
document when diald is not running and the URL is not cached.