Re: Problem with dnsserver starting

From: Chuck Pitre <chuck@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 09:28:08 -0500 (EST)

Don't know if this is of any use to you but....

I installed squid 1.1.18 on my main DNS server (running BIND 4.9.6)

what happened is that squid's DNS caching thingy puked when it came in
contact with named.

what happened is that named had to be started succesfully before SQUID
(makes sense) or else if squid would boot up before named wouldn't start
(bad thing).

So in the rc.local (oh yeah, this is FreeBSD 2.2.5) we restarted named and
added a sleep 30 after that I have it doing an nslookup home (which is the
name of the machine.. this is just a little debugging for me..) after that
I have a sleep 10 (just my paranoia.. don't need that) and then I have
/usr/local/squid/bin/RunCache & and it works beautifully.....

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Jacob Cazzell wrote:

> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 17:56:00 -0500
> From: Jacob Cazzell <jacobcaz@iserve.net>
> To: squid-users@nlanr.net
> Subject: Problem with dnsserver starting
>
> Hello,
>
> I cannot get squid to start in accel or cache mode. It dies everytime with a:
>
> FATAL: Failed to start any dnsservers
>
> I have the conf file set to the path with dnsserve and this is the file
> permission:
>
> -rwxrwxrwx 1 nobody nobody 29189 Dec 9 05:27 dnsserver
>
> So, why might squid not be able to call it? I know it works correctly
> because it will run manually and do dns lookups...
>
> HELP!
>
> THanks!
>
> Jacob

Chuck Pitre chuck@vianet.on.ca
ViaNet Internet Solutions Technical Consultant
128 Larch Street ph: 675-0400
P3E 5J8 fax: 675-0404

Windows95: <win-doz-nin-te-fiv> n. 32 bit extensions
  and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8
  bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit
  microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that
  can't stand 1 bit of competition.