Re: TRANSPARENT PROXY

From: Dave Zarzycki <zarzycki@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 97 22:08:07 -0800

On 12/20/97 9:47 PM, Patrick (indigo@trancenet.ml.org) wrote:

>it sounds like a good "cause" how does it speed up the process? i am not
>doubting that it does because i have seen prof. proxy servers, etc.

Two reasons:

It takes time to fetch stuff from the internet, no matter how fast your
connection is.

There is no reason to transmit the same bytes more than once over a slow
link, when it can be used for something else.

>> The first question I have to ask is, have you compiled your kernel with
>> the necessary options?
>yes

including ip_forwarding, transparent proxy, etc?

>> What version of squid are you using?
>1.1.9

Err... You might want to update...

>> What distribution of Linux are you using? version?
>2.0.32

Great, that's your kernel version, what distribution of Linux are you
using? RedHat, Slackware, Debian, etc. and what version of the respective
distribution?

>i tried to run squid but then it complains because the httpd is using port
>80 and it cant..

What are your firewalling rules?

davez

Dave Zarzycki Student
Intern San Jose State University
Apple Computer, Inc. dzarzyck@email.sjsu.edu
zarzycki@apple.com zarzycki@ricochet.net
PGP Fingerprints (RSA): 8AF2 1040 8A9C D025 47BE 70DD A51C C887
DSS/Diffie-Hellman: CB9E 2621 B4BA 3F96 3516 B312 15B4 D842 3809 EF99
Contact pgpkeys.mit.edu for my public keys.