RE: dnsserver problem (and one for the FAQ)

From: Armistead, Jason <ARMISTEJ@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 01:53:00 -0500

David

Check out your /etc/nsswitch.conf file.

It determines the order of searches for naming (amongst other things).
You might only have it set up to allow NIS and HOSTS files to work.
Here is an excerpt from my file (Solaris 2.5.1)

#
# /etc/nsswitch.nis:
#
# An example file that could be copied over to /etc/nsswitch.conf; it
# uses NIS (YP) in conjunction with files.
#
# "hosts:" and "services:" in this file are used only if the
# /etc/netconfig file has a "-" for nametoaddr_libs of "inet"
transports.

# the following two lines obviate the "+" entry in /etc/passwd and
/etc/group.
passwd: files nis
group: files nis

# consult /etc "files" only if nis is down.
hosts: nis dns [NOTFOUND=return] files

Note the word "dns" in the hosts line. It's not there in the standard
NIS setup (notice the TEMPLATE file name /etc/nsswitch.nis is at the top
- it's copied to nsswitch.conf and there are about 3 templates to choose
from).

Give that a whirl

PS: You'll find that although nslookup works (bypassing nsswitch.conf
altogether), that just like your failing dnsserver, utilities such as
ping probably don't work either, because it calls Solaris system
routines which use nsswitch.conf.

PPS: This is a FAQ-able question for Solaris operating system problems
IMHO.

Regards

Jason