Re: Understanding DNS service

From: Andre Coetzee <acoetzee@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 11:47:29 -0800

> > On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, Andre Coetzee wrote:
> >
> > I am (still) battling with DNS lookups, which are triggering diald
> > (automatic on-demand dialler) to dial out even when requested URLs are
> > already in the squid cache.
>
>Bruce Campbell replied:
>
> a) Configure diald to ignore requests for DNS lookups. (man diald ;) )
> b) Running named will help squid a little, and other functions of the
> computer a little more.

Thanks. I tried this. I can't seem to trigger diald at all now. Perhaps
reinstall of diald will be in order.

I think my system is suffering from a serious lack of resources at this
time.
My hardware is only 8 Mb physical RAM with 16 Mb swap and free disk
space
is around 25 Mb.

My syslogd doesn't start up anymore until I run it by hand, and I notice
that httpd tends to run away creating 100+ children, even though there
is only one
browser window open. It brings the machine to a virtual standstill.

Maybe I'll get some new hardware for Christmas.