Re: Square 1

From: Paul Matthews <paul@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 10:06:15 -0500 (EST)

Henrik,

Thank you for the succinct reply. It helps some. I still have a
few questions. Please be kind enough to offer suggestions. I am
unclear what a "web proxy server" means.

1. The term "proxy" is a bit ambiguous. Does it mean to conceal
the real host (as in firewalling)? Or is this usage meant to show
that it relieves one or more hosts from excess workload? [I really
did not understand, but I assumed the latter.]

2. When you say "server" do you include a network gateway machine?
Or does squid have to run on a web server? I run a Linux box
essentially as an ISDN router. Will squid function on the
gateway/router to cache http and ftp traffic between my LAN of 5
workstations and the Internet?

3. I really did read the install instructions. However, they are
very brief. Can you offer any suggestions as to which options to
implement for an Internet gateway box?

4. Why is the httpd-accel mode http_port 80? How would you use
remote administration in this case?

5. Can you offer any general warnings/suggestions/things to look
out for?

Thanks very much,

Paul

On Sun, 28 Dec 1997, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> The answers are be available on the Squid home page.
> http://squid.nlanr.net/
>
> In short:
>
> Squid is a caching web proxy server, designed to run on various kinds of
> UNIX and ported to . It should be installed by network administrators to
> reduce the bandwidth used by WWW. It is server software, and not
> something that you install on your personal workstation (UNIX or
> Windows).
>
> Install instructions is in the files INSTALL and QUICKSTART shipped in
> the distribution.
>
> ---
> Henrik Nordström

Regards,