Re: Cisco 2501 & Squid 1.1.9

From: Matthew Petach <mattp@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 12:13:05 -0800 (PST)

Recently, George M. Ellenburg talked about "Cisco 2501 & Squid 1.1.9", and said

> Is it possible to set up some sort of NAT in a Cisco 2501 Router to
> have the router blindly redirect all packets destined for port 80 to
> our proxy server on port 3128 so our users don't have to specify a
> proxy server address in their browsers?

Alteon has added such a feature into their AceSwitch 180 line
of fast ethernet switches; it has the advantage of doing the
redirection at layer 2, so there's no IP "hop" associated with
the redirection, unlike with a router-based solution. It's
pretty cool. It'll even do load-balancing among several
squid caches with the redirection!

Definitely worth checking out!

Matt

--
InterNex Information Services   |           Matthew Petach {MP59}
Network Engineering             |           mpetach@internex.net