Re: Wrapping Squid

From: Bruce Campbell <bc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 13:17:21 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997, Chuck Pitre wrote:

> Before I venture into this, is there any known problems booting squid in
> the inetd.conf (FreeBSD 2.2.5) and wrapping it with TCP wrappers???
> (probably a stupid question.. but thought I'd ask it anyway.)

Yes, your coffee gets cold when you try to load up a single page with say
4 images (5 times squid gets loaded, at several minutes apiece? ;) )

Better off running squid standalone and either getting the ACL (Access
Control Lists) correct, or tell squid to ignore everything bar localhost
and run a wrappered http-gw from inetd. plug-gw is a bit more reliable
though. (see other suggestions on this list)

--==--
Bruce.

Systems Administrator
    Hub Communications.