Re: Cisco 2501 & Squid 1.1.9 (fwd)

From: Matthew Petach <mattp@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 17:31:26 -75200 (PST)

Recently, John Todd talked about "Re: Cisco 2501 & Squid 1.1.9 (fwd)", and said

> The Alteon products are not quite what the doctor ordered, or at least,
> they're not what this doctor can afford. The initial verbal quote was about
> $9k for the hardware, and then an additional $3k for the software. Gaaa!

Sorry, I thought when you said "Cisco" you were looking for something
along the lines of their Web Cache Engine thingie for $45,000; currently,
that's the only thing I know of in a Cisco that will do what you were
looking today, and $12K makes the Alteon box darned cheap compared to
the Cisco box. The Alteon box is also the _only_ box that I know
of that is an "invisible" something that will do web redirection;
all others are actual IP "hops" that show up in traceroutes, and
are attackable as actual IP addresses.

I think the only thing you're going to find that's cheaper than
the Alteon box is a Linux/BSD box with multiple ethernet cards. :-(

Best of luck!

Matt