Re: connected users

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 1998 12:50:06 +0100

On Thursday 1 January 1998, at 16 h 29, the keyboard of Chuck Pitre
<chuck@vianet.on.ca> wrote:

> Hrm.. I don't have the installed.. I don't like Web Management :)
> but now that you mentionnned that.. is the cachemgr a perl file???
> If so then you can easily grab the part about the "client list" and make a
> CLI interface for it :)

You can always make a CLI from a Web management CGI. See the "client"
program with Squid or any other CLI Web client like GNU's wget or like
url_get (or the libwww if you use Perl).

Advantage of Web management: it works both with managers (who use
Netscape Platinum Extra 64) and with administrators (who write a custom
Perl script launched from cron to page them if there is a trouble). It
works from any management box (unlike $$$-burners like NetView or
SunNetManager). Apache or Squid use it nicely. For programmers, it's
easier to provide a Web management interface than a SNMP interface.