Re: xmalloc: Unable to allocate 4096 bytes!

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 02:31:19 -0500 (EST)

Hmmm... (I seem to start most of my messages this way lately ;-)

I havn't had this problem on a Linux machine since that one buggy release
of Squid a few months ago. Here are some parameters off of one of my
larger cache machines:

P133 w/ 56 MB RAM (soon to be 112 MB) running Linux kernel 2.0.30 + 1024
fd's

2816 MB cache_swap
97% high water mark
92% low water mark

8 MB cache_mem
50% high water mark
25% low water mark

I don't think I've ever had a malloc error with this configuration (except
for that one buggy Squid, but that's a different story...). The RAM
upgrade is much needed since the Squid works better when it has more
cache_mem, but it starts to swap if I give it over 8. With 112 MB of RAM
in this box I expect to set cache_mem to 96 MB and not have any swapping
(previous expieriments showed it to stabilize at around 76 MB or so with
that setting).

        -Bill